The day of Purnima is the day (Tithi) in each month when the full moon occurs, and marks the division in each month between the two lunar fortnights (Paksha).If we look at mythological texts, the special effects and significance of Mahadev's makeover hasbeen described.
- Offering saffron on Shivaling gives us gentleness.
- Sugar anointing Mahadevwith sugaris believed to give happiness and prosperity. Doing so leads to eradicate poverty from human life.
- Perfume applying perfume on Shivlingis believed to promote sacred and pure Thoughts .This prevents us from going on the wrong path of life.
- Milk offering milk to Shiv-Shankaris associated with health benefits and keeping away from diseases.
- Curd offering Curd to Parvatiapathi is believed to take awayproblem and provide a trouble free life .
- Ghee offering ghee to Lord Shankaris believed to increase Strength (Physical & Mental).
- Sandalwood offering sandalwood to Shivji is believedto provide pleasing personality. This gives us dignity and respect in society.
- Honey by offering honey to Bholenath, sweetness comes in our speech.